For today’s Room of the Week, the summery kitchen in Mara and Max Simmonses home on the Little Red River. We made the couple-hour trek out to their home in the early morning hours, so we could begin our photo shoot while the light was soft. I brought bunches of blooming viburnum, thinking the bright green leaves would look great in the white kitchen, and when we walked in, Mara had strawberries and zucchini bread waiting. The three elements worked together to make a pretty picture–and then, we enjoyed the zucchini bread!
And now…you can too!
yields 2 loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.